Thursday, February 17, 2011

Routines

It is really nice to get back into my routine. I missed it. Tuesday was yoga. Wednesday was the gym and a 5 mile run. Today was the pool and a 1/2 mile swim.

I feel good. I feel refreshed. I like being this active and feeling this good about it. I'm happy with the progress I have made and I am feeling much more secure in my ability to do this.

I am taking it easy with training the next 2 days. Friday is only a ballroom dancing lesson with a group of friends (and then a few drinks later!). Other than going to my mom's house, I'm not sure yet what I'm doing on Saturday.

Then on Sunday is the 1/2 marathon! 13.1 miles. Outside. At 10am. In NH. Along the ocean. With a high of 35 degrees. Did I mention it starts at 10am? I guess the good thing is that the wind is coming from the north west so it won't be off the ocean when we run miles 8-13 aouth, along the coast. And by then, since I'm so slow, it should have warmed up a bit too.

Tonight as we were leaving the pool, I told my friends I was going to need some help with my long runs. I know a 3 mile loop where we did the Thanksgiving Day 5K. Starting next weekend I want to start doing that for my long runs. I planned next weekend to be a 12 mile run... 4 laps. So I want to see if my friends will meet me for different loops. Run a loop with one person, then have another person run with me for lap 2 and so on and so forth.

Trevor will be continuing to train for another 1/2 marathon in April, so he can do 2 loops with me. And Jen said she'd do a loop. I want to ask Kristin tomorrow at the ballroom lesson too. I figure if my friends who run faster than me will run with me and help me keep my pace and encourage me to continue with the training, it will be that much easier to keep going with the long runs.

I also want to get out on the course and get in some runs. I especially want to run the hills. I figure after 20ish miles, it would be nice to know what I'm getting into with those. I would like to be a little prepared and know a little of what I should expect.

My cousin said him and his family would all be right at heartbreak with signs for me. And tonight my friends said we have to go out and party after the marathon. I really hope to see some familiar faces along the route.

In the video we saw at the teams kickoff party, I remember what one person said in an interview. She had put her name on the front of her running shirt. As she was running the course, people would see her name and cheer for her, calling out her name to support her. I love that idea. I am going to need all the encouragement I can get and if I can have random strangers yelling out "GO JULIE!" as I pass by... then I am going to have my name on my shirt!

I'm looking forward to continuing my training, especially now that I feel better about it. I know I'll continue to have mental challenges and blocks along the way. I know I will have insecurities and self doubt. But I will have to find my focus, find an inspiration and find a drive to keep me going.

I have great friends in my life and an amazing support system I have built up. I have so many people in my corner cheering for me. All I have to do is reach out to them and they will be there.

I don't always have the easiest time asking for help. I pride myself on my independence. I can do anything on my own and I don't need anyone else. So to ask for help... I struggle with that. But I have built up an amazing support with great people in my life. I know I can ask for help and ask for support in my training and they will be there. I'm lucky!

So now I'll keep up with the routine, get in my runs, my yoga, my swims and have my amazing friends to help me and encourage me along the way. :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought I posted this last night but I guess it did not work...

    Julie I really love reading your updates!
    I started running last year and love it. took a break past couple of months but now getting back into it! I have a goal of running a 1/2 marathon in Sept!!
    I'm planning on running with yall at the school track in April.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete