Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oh my aching back

After the 5K race last weekend, my back got petty bad. Last Sunday night, I couldn't even get around my own house without leaning on furniture to walk around. Walking was so painful. With switching off heat and ice and taking Advil it did get better, but I was limping around most of the week.

Last Monday night I did meet some friends at the track. I managed to walk and keep up with them for over an hour, but there was no hope of running that night. Walking was pretty painful still.

I haven't run at all this past week. I was just trying to rest up the back without making it worse. Yesterday I spent the day doing Spring cleaning at my house and by 7pm, I could feel my back starting to hurt again. It was a little better this morning, but I'm on the heating pad again, hoping to work out the tension and inflamation that keeps building.

Last night I had a dream about the marathon. It was race day and I was getting ready to go. Funny, because in the dream I didn't know what I was wearing, how I was getting to Hopkington, what I had for snacks, or who would be along the route. SO basically... I knew what I know now! :)

The marathon is 4 weeks from tomorrow. I'm nervous. With all of my health issues, the stomach bug, sinus infections, ear infection and lower back issues... my training has NOT been fun or productive for February or March. At this point, I'm tossing out all expectations, other than I want to finish. I just want to cross the finish line. I don't care how long it is going to take me. I don't care how much I have to walk it. I just want to cross the finish line.

So right now I am working on taking care of my injuries and making sure my body is in better shape and ready. I know it will be a mental challenge. But I know I can walk forever. I'm not worried about the total distance at all. I just wish I could run more.

But I do feel really really good about the 5K last weekend. Knowing I have improved that much makes me feel so much better. I love that I had a PB without pushing myself. I felt so good the whole race, other than feeling my lower back. At one point I was a little in my head. But I pulled out the mantra I came up with. "Run Strong. Finish Proud." That was all I needed. I knew I was going to run through and finish. And I did.

I'm bummed that I had to walk to the finish line because of the crowd. I can't imagine what my time would have been if the finish line & if the spots on the bike path weren't so congested. I could have done even better! That's a really cool thought for me!

I have a few more 5K's coming up, plus a 10K. I can't wait to see what my times are for those. It's exciting.

There is a race the first Sunday in April I haven't registered for yet. It is either a 5K or a 1/2 marathon. My friend Trevor is running the 1/2. He had done the last 1/2 with me. Because of my back and lack of training, I'm thinking of doing the 1/2, but I don't know if I want to push my back that much. Which is why I still haven't registered for that race yet. I know I'm going. I know I'm doing it. I just don't know which one yet.

The weekend after that, I have a 10K in Braintree. A bunch of my friends are running it too, but doing the 5K. It should be fun. My last 10K time was 1:09:35. I'd love to break that. I'd love to do a 5K under 30 minutes and a 10K under an hour. I'm a slow runner. I have always been a slow runner. But I've gotten stronger and I'm happy with that.

I can't wait until our Couch to 5K training starts up again. I have over 20 people signed up for my running group. It is just so much fun and so exciting to see people run. I love seeing them progress and I love seeing the pride on their faces when the realize what they are accomplishing. I can't wait for that.

That is how I got into running, doing the Couch to 5K with this fitness group. I have made amazing friends that I know will be in my life for a long time to come. This running group has truly changed my life. Funny to know and pin point one thing that made a huge difference and turned my life in a different direction. I can't imagine where I would be if I hadn't done the Couch to 5K program with this group.

SO now, I am focused on finishing the marathon, however I get there and whenever I get there. I'm still fundraising and have received donations from places and people I never expected.

The BAA requires $5000. Mass Eye and Ear asks for $6000 and I set my goal at $7000. As of now, with a matching amount I have $3760 raised. That is before mom and dad put in, 2 of my aunts and 3 more people at work who have said they would contribute. All of those (5 plus my parents), plus more from me will all be matched too. SO... $1240 left to hit the minimum required. Divided by 2 is $620. SO that's my magic number right now. I need $620 by next weekend, to be part of the match, then I hit the BAA's minimum. And I'll still have another month left to get what Mass Eye and Ear wants and/or what I wanted.

I had sent out letters to family too. I have a few aunts and uncles I haven't heard back from yet, which I'm a little surprised at. And a couple of friends too, which is more disappointing than anything else. People I don't know or don't know well are contributing through the fitness group. And people who have already donated have been SO generous and so much more generous than I have ever thought possible. I'm just surprised and a little disappointed at those who haven't. Those are the people I thought would support me, just because I'm doing the marathon. Nothing to do with Mass Eye and Ear, but just because it is me. And I'm surprised that they haven't. And disappointed and little hurt. But I don't know everyone's situation and I can't go there. I'm not begging people to donate. They all know what I'm doing and what I'm asking for. If they can and if they want to, they will contribute. I just with it was this week, so it could be added to what I can get matched!!! This week is my push!

Anyway... been sitting on my sofa for WAY too long. Almost 10am now. Cereal is gone and coffee cup is empty. I'm thinking I might hit the pool to get in laps before I go up to mom's house today. I pulled a muscle, sort of a charlie horse, yesterday morning in my right calf. I've done it before, one night swimming. OH MY did it hurt!! I stretched while still in bed and it felt like my muscle just snapped and split! WOW! But I think it would be ok swimming.

Time to think about moving and what I'm going to do today. Tomorrow might snow and I'm going to take a break until Tuesday night when I am FINALLY going to try to run again. I'm meeting a few friends at the track again to get some miles in and have the company. It'll be fun to see them all and get outside. But snow Monday and Wednesday. And today is the first day of Spring?

Happy Spring.. and here's to health and wealth and continued running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment