Thursday, January 20, 2011

A change in the routine

It must be because I was talking about Groundhog day, saying every day is the same. SO I got something a little different today.

I am a creature of habit. In the morning as I am leaving, I grab my keys off the hook and go. Well, last night I didn't put my keys on the hook. But one was there when I grabbed for it. It was my spare car key. No house key. I realized it just as I shut my door.

I thought, ok, not a big deal. I'll call my landlord during the day to make sure they will be around when I get out of work and I'll stop home to get my keys then. That'll be fine.

Then I walked out to my car. I had backed my car into the driveway because of all the snow. I put the passenger side up against the waist high snow bank. That way I can easily open the driver's side door of my coupe.

SO I walked up to the car that doesn't have key less entry. I put my key to the lock and try to push. Nothing. Lock is frozen solid. I can't even get the key into the lock, forget about trying to turn it.

I walked around the back of the car and looked at the passenger side. There were a few inches between the car and the snowbank. I tried to squish in, got that door unlocked, and the DOOR was frozen shut! Plus, a few inches from a waist high frozen solid snowbank. Not sure how I thought I'd manage to squeeze in! I've lost weight, but not THAT much!

Then I remember, I don't even have a house key! I'm locked out of my house and I can't get into my car. I called work 20 minutes before I was supposed to be there (I live 5 miles away!) to say I was going to be late. She laughed at me. Then I called D for suggestions.

I had 2 options. First was to ask my landlords for hot water. I went to their door. The lights were off, nothing was on. They are around 80 years old. I was not waking them up that early.

I stood in my driveway staring at my car. I was talking to myself and kept saying, "what am I going to do? I don't know what to do?"

Then I sucked it up and went for option 2. I opened the trunk, moved the couple things that were in there off to the side. Grabbed the camping chair I keep in the truck. Used that to poke at the back fold-down seats. They really do fold down!

I took a deep breath and dove into my trunk, crawled through to the back seat, squeezed up into the front passenger seat then over to the drivers seat. I started my car, opened the door, got out to close the trunk, then went to work!

What a way to start the say!

I did manage to get to the pool tonight. (rushed home from work, grabbed a key from the landlords to open up my house, went to the tax place to get my taxes done, home, changed and went to the pool! Ahhhhh....)

I got in about 3/4 of a mile tonight. I'm tired, but I feel good. Hoping I sleep really well tonight.

And tomorrow is Friday!!!! YAY! Only thing bringing that down a little is that we are getting MORE SNOW! How is this even possible?? My long run Saturday? Yeah, about 20 degrees outside, the day after a snow storm. Not so much for outside in that. I'd prefer not to slip and break an ankle! 9 miles on the treadmill is NOT going to be fun, but I'll bring good music and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment