Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Day

Today was such a great day! Joined some friends and headed up to Salisbury for The Hangover Classic. With my cousin meeting us, there were 7 of us. Me and 2 others ran in the 10K too! This was first and a great way to push on in my training.

I did walk for a little bit, but the race had us actually running on the beach! The sand was soft and uneven. I didn't feel comfortable running in it and I didn't want to hurt myself. Right afer we got off the beach was the 4 mile mark and a water stop. I stopped for a second there to grab 2 cups of water, then was back on my way for the rest of the race.

Surprisingly, I felt good. I haven't run that far before, so I'm really proud of myself. I was slow, but considering I walked the beach part and it took a bit to actual pass the start line and even start running because it was SO crowded (the 5K and 10K started together) I still finished at 1:09 and change.

The official time isn't posted yet. I did see 1:09 on the timer when I crossed and I set the timer just as the gun went off (again, before I got to the start and before I started running) and that was 1:09:37. SO I'm happy! I just want to know the official time!

I was a little bummed that they only had one water stop at mile 4 and with the 5K's finishing first and me being slow with the 10K runners, they were completely out of water when I finished! I was SO dehydrated! I had to fly to my car to get my water! It wasn't good.

I had wanted to do the plunge, but by the time I finally go back to the beach after getting my water, it wasn't worth it. Most people had already gone in.

But it was a good day. I got in a long run with friends and I started my new year off in a really good place.

Funny because I NEVER would have thought mid 50's would be too warm, but WOW was it hot! Somewhere betweeen mile 2 and 3, I was dying! I had on capri running pants, a sports bra and a long sleeve running shirt with the sleeves pushed up. I'm REALLY glad that was the sports bra I wore, because it was the kind you can wear alone if you are ok with your belly being exposed. At that point, I really didn't care what was exposed!

So as one of my friends said, "I turned around and Julie was stripping!" Yup, took that long sleeve shirt off and tied it around my waist and did the rest of the race in my bra! Of course I ran past people I knew who have a house in the area and haven't seen them in years. Nice, but whatever. It was a little funny! But hey, at least I have a flat stomach with muscle and I felt better without the shirt on.

Now I am exhausted. At 6:30pm, I'm ready for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment