Sunday, January 16, 2011

I did it, sort of

Well I made it outside. Let's just say... That kicked my butt! DAMN! That was SO hard today. To the point, I feel sick right now. Including the bit to my house, with the little changes I made, the whole loop was 7.96 miles. That includes everything from my door back to my door. I walked the first bit, about a 1/2 mile to warm up. Then I started jogging.

I probably got about a mile and a half in before I got a HORRIBLE side stitch. I haven't had one of those in months, especially one that bad. It hurt so much! I tried to jog it out, but I was struggling to stand up straight. I thought about turning around, but committed to continue, even if I had to walk the entire loop.

I walked about 3/4 of a mile at that point, until I turned onto Rt 53. Then I started up again. I felt pretty good at that point. I used the water pack thing. I'm sure it works great for some people but I don't think I'll use it for my runs again. It wasn't super comfortable. I didn't like it around my waist and having the weight of the bottle resting on my lower back hurt. I was happy to have water, but I think going forward I will be hiding bottles of water along the route I pick instead of wearing it. I don't think it works for me.

So then I jogged the stretch along rt 53, about 2 miles. I stopped at the gas station, had some water and adjusted. That's when my ear buds to my IPod died, well at least the right one. I had sound in my left, but the right one is dead. :( I knew I wanted new ear buds anyway, but I'm bummed! Those are supposed to be pretty good ones, from Sony and they aren't even a year and a half old! Dead! Oh well.

I started back up, made it past Derby Street Shoppes and the ramps for Rt 3. I walked for a minute over the bridge, but then started back up again and headed back into Weymouth. That was about the 6 mile mark. And that's when I started to really feel it. My back hurt, my feet were wet and sore, my knees were hurting. Did I mention my back? My lower back hurt so much from that water bottle! The belt wasn't comfortable either and I kept trying to adjust it. Wasn't working. I started walking then.

I tried to start up again, a couple of times but never made it that long. I decided to change my route and not head past the HS to Rt 18, but instead to cut back through by Columbian Square again and head home that way. I walked most of mile 6 and 7 back to my house.

So, including the starting 1/2 mile, the last 2 miles of walking, the 3/4 of mile during mile 2, and maybe another 1/4 mile tossed in randomly, I walked 3 1/2 out of the 8 miles. NOT good. I only got in 4 1/2 miles today?

That really kicked my butt!!

But, some good things came out of it. First, I got outside and faced my fear. I did it. It wasn't my best run, but I did it. Second, I know I have to dress differently for this weather. These pants did NOT work out. The are too big and I between the water thing and the pants being too big, I spent too much time adjusting. Third, I learned the water thing isn't for me. Not comfortable. Forth, I know I'll have to get new ear buds this week. I want the over the ear kind. Fifth... I have to find hiding spots for water breaks. Sixth, these are good socks to run in. Didn't move around or bother my feet at all like some of my socks to. I have to get more of these.

I think there are more good things too. I liked the headband, ear cover thing I used too. Works great, keeps me warm and my hair out of my face. The gloves that Team Eye and Ear gave me were really good too.

But, yeah, it kicked my butt. It even started out bad before I left. I eat some energy jelly bean protein things before I left and felt my jaw. Kind of like cracking my knuckles, but my jaw. And REALLY bad, still hurts! I have a headache from it!

And I feel nauseous too! I mean really sick. I thought I was going to throw up more than once while I was out there. I have never had my butt kicked this much fro one run EVER. But I did it... sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment